Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Counterintuition

Over the course of this year, I've learned that what I think of myself is often the complete opposite of what most people think of me. I've been told that when I err on the side of being what I consider slightly distant, I actually come across as cold. What I consider to be too needy or too emotional is apparently still, in its own way, somewhat detached.

There seems to be much more than a fine line between healthy caution and unhealthy paranoia, especially when interacting with other people. The more I work towards overcoming depression and anxiety, the more I see that there's a huge gap between these two extremes. In my mind, I seem to be afraid of falling into some sort of uncanny valley between being too detached and not detached enough. I sometimes become preoccupied with avoiding the point along that spectrum that would make me come across as off-putting, but where exactly does that point lie? And where does 'normal' really lie within that, anyway? How can I figure out how to find that space in between too much and too little if I can't even trust my own judgment of my own actions?

But, that's not even the most important question. There's one thing that needs an answer most of all      how can anyone overcome being their own worst enemy?

No comments:

Post a Comment